Mobile Home Owner Information and Instructions

When you receive your Mobile Home Registration form, please sign, date and return the form to our office within thirty (30) days. Read the following instructions.

  1. Complete the form. If you have received a preprinted form, please check the information for accuracy. Please print any corrections clearly.
  2. Return a photocopy of your title if the registration form indicates that we do not have one on file, or if there was a change made. If you have applied for a title and have not received it by the time your registration arrives, please print that on the line that requests the title number. Please do not hold the registration form until you receive the title. You may send us the title separately when you do receive it.
  3. Change in size of the home must be accompanied by proof, e.g., copy of the bill of sale, insurance contract or other legal document stating size. The law as of January 1, 1991, requires the size (square feet) of the home on the title. Please note that we figure the square footage for tax purposes using outside measurements.
  4. Senior citizen or disability exemption applicants must complete the questions at the bottom of the form, have a copy of the title, and proof of age or disability on file, or submit it with the registration. If previously submitted, you must continue to complete the form, verifying eligibility, and return it to our office.
  5. Mobile home owners, by law, must register with their assessor or the County Clerk Mobile Home Department within thirty (30) days of purchase. Failure to do so is a Class A misdemeanor which can involve a sentence of up to a year in jail and/or a $2,500 fine.
  6. Late Fees of $25.00 per month, up to a maximum of $100.00, will be added if the tax bill is not paid by the due date. 
  7. If an error in billing occurs, contact the Mobile Home Registration Department in writing upon receipt of the bill. Do not wait until penalties are assessed. The late fee will not be removed even if a correction is in order. Corrections take time, so please don’t delay.
  8. A county moving permit must be obtained from the County Treasurer before a home can be moved. Although there are no fees for moving permits, all taxes must be paid before a moving permit will be issued.
  9. As of January 1, 1990, the State of Illinois will not allow a transfer of title without a certificate from the County Treasurer stating that all taxes are paid. This certificate must accompany the title and application for a new title. If you are selling, you must obtain one from the Treasurer’s Office and give it to the buyer when you sign over the title. The buyer should be sure it is included in the sale.  You can also obtain a Tax Certificate from this website.