Food Services


Food Inspection Reports

Certified Food Manager Course

If you are considering opening a new restaurant or have questions about food safety for an existing facility, please call and speak with one of our environmental inspectors at 217-535-3145.

Proctored exams are offered by appointment. Please contact (217) 535-3145 to schedule an exam.

8-Hour Certification Course

Restaurants are required to employ a minimum number of staff (depending on the food establishment’s risk category) certified in the 8-Hour Certified Food Manager course. The 8-hour, 2-day program, is offered several times a year for a fee of $125.

Once the course is finished, a final exam must be successfully completed with a passing score. The certificate is valid for 5 years.

To enroll, print, complete, and return the 8-Hour Registration Form with $125 to SCDPH two weeks prior to the first course date. Once enrolled, participants will not be notified again unless class is cancelled or changed, so plan to attend on the scheduled dates.

For more information call 217-535-3145.

Approved Courses for the Illinois Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification
8-Hour Registration Form

Approved Food Handler Courses

Food employee or food handler means an individual working with unpackaged food, food equipment or utensils, or food-contact surfaces. Food employee or food handler does not include unpaid volunteers or temporary events. Those employees working in food service establishments (inclusive of bars and event venues) that are NOT certified food managers are required to complete food handler training.

Approved Food Handler Courses

Allergen Awareness Training

With the adoption of PA 100-0367 on August 25, 2017, amendments to the Food Handling Regulation Enforcement Act were made to include an allergen awareness training requirement.

New regulations go into effect January 1, 2018. Enforcement begins July 1, 2018. For further details visit the Illinois Department of Public Health's Allergen Awareness page.

Food Permits


Restaurant Food Permit - Annual

The Annual Restaurant Food Permit is for establishments or food service facilities operating on a year-round basis.

To open a new restaurant or food service facility, please contact our office directly at 217-535-3145. If the new facility requires any construction or renovation, plans must be submitted prior to the start of construction: Plan Review Application and the required fee. Be aware that the local jurisdiction may require building and zoning permits. The local jurisdiction should always be consulted prior to beginning any project.

Prior to purchasing an existing food service establishment, the Annual Restaurant Food Permit Application must be completed. Contact the Sangamon County Department of Public Health at 217-535-3145 immediately to avoid operating without a permit in violation of the County Code. Food establishment permits are non-transferable.

To renew an annual food permit, complete and submit the Annual Restaurant Food Permit Application to SCDPH. To avoid late fees, be sure to submit the application before the current permit’s expiration date. See application for late fee details and payment options.

To pay permit fee online click green button below.

Sangamon County-Code of Ordinances

Restaurant Food Permit - Bi-Annual

The Bi-Annual Restaurant Food Permit is for food service concession stand/farmers market stand facilities operating at a 6 month (seasonal) basis that do not meet the criteria of a Mobile Unit.

To renew a Bi-annual food permit, complete and submit the Bi-Annual Food Permit Application to SCDPH along with form of payment as indicated on application. Contact our office if you have any questions 217-535-3145.

To pay permit fee online click green button below.

Sangamon County-Code of Ordinances

Food Service Permit - Mobile

This permit application is for mobile food service facilities open 14 – 365 days per calendar year. Hot dog carts and food trucks are examples of mobile food operations. Mobile food service facilities cannot stay parked in one place for more than 14 consecutive days because they are not hard plumbed to community water and sewer services. Certified food service sanitation staff may be required for mobile permits, depending on the menu. Click here for additional Mobile Requirements. Contact our office if you have questions. Many Villages require permits for operating food trucks within their corporate limits. A list of Villages and their contact information is provided here.

To apply for a mobile permit, complete the Mobile Food Service Application and return it to SCDPH with the appropriate fee (listed on application) two weeks before opening. You must also contact our office at 217-535-3145 to schedule an inspection prior to opening or purchasing food.

To pay permit fee online click green button below.

Sangamon County-Code of Ordinances

Food Service Permit - Special or Temporary Event

This permit application is for food service events operating fewer than 14 days per calendar year. Carnivals, festivals, homecomings, fairs, fundraisers, chili cook-offs, bridal shows, craft/art fairs, car shows, and sporting events are examples of temporary food events permitted by SCDPH. If food is served to the general public for free or at a charge, a permit is required.

To apply for a temporary permit, complete the Temporary Food Permit Application and return it to SCDPH with the appropriate fee (listed on application) two weeks before the event. The event will be inspected by a Department Sanitarian.

Note that all food must be from an approved source and prepared on-site the day of the event. If food is prepared in advance, or the applicant has not held a temporary event previously, please contact our office at 217-535-3145.

To pay permit fee online click green button below.

Sangamon County-Code of Ordinances

Cottage Food Operations Registration


To register your cottage food operation, please download and complete the Cottage Foods Registration Form.

Click here to view Section 4 of the Food Handling Regulation Enforcement Act.

Sangamon County-Code of Ordinances

Additional Information

IDPH Cottage Food Information
Food Safety Plan for Acidified and Fermented Foods
IDPH Cottage Food Guide 2022
Hazard Analysis Chart

Illinois Statutes & Local Ordinances


Sangamon County Water Reclamation District

Grease Trap & Grease Interceptor Requirements

Serve Kids Better Act

Serve Kids Better: Inspection Compliance Guide

Food Handling Regulation Enforcement Act

Food Handling Regulation Enforcement Act
  • Illinois Home Kitchen Act
  • Cottage Food Act
  • Allergen Awareness Requirements
  • Farmer's Markets
  • Lemonade Stands

ADA Information on Service Animals

ADA Requirements: Service Animals
Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals

Foodborne Illness or Facility Complaint


Sangamon County Department of Public Health (SCDPH) takes receipt of all food facility complaints seriously. It is the goal of SCDPH to work with facilities and the community to insure the health and safe food service of facilities to the customers they serve. Typically, Food Illness complaints are inspected within 48 hours from receipt. In addition to the information provided to SCDPH through your complaint, SCDPH staff will be contacting you to discuss a food history as well as symptoms and to discuss any medical care received.

SCDPH separates restaurant complaints into two categories *:

  • Food Illness Complaints: If you feel that eating something from a particular facility has resulted in a Food Illness, please fill out the “To Report a Foodborne Illness” form below to submit a complaint.
  • General Facility Complaints: If you have concerns about a general practice or policy of a facility, please fill out the “To Make a Facility Complaint” form below to submit a complaint.

Foodborne Illness Links

For additional information on Foodborne Illnesses please visit any of the following websites:

CDC link -

FDA links -

To Report a Foodborne Illness or Make a Restaurant/Facility Complaint

To make a complaint by phone please call (217) 535-3145. To make a complaint electronically fill out the form below. Please provide detailed information regarding the issue to enable follow up by health department staff. This includes the name of the facility, address, and other pertinent details. For foodborne illness complaints, please include what was eaten, symptoms, time of onset of symptoms, the restaurant/facility name and address, and your contact information. Someone will contact you on the next day of business.

File a Complaint

*To request information pertaining to the findings of a complaint inspection, please complete a Freedom of Information Act Request.

Emergency Contact


For after hours public health emergencies, contact Sangamon County Dispatch at 217-753-6666 and Sangamon County Department of Public Health will be contacted.

Regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The phone number is 217-535-3145 or Toll Free 888-217-3505.