Marriage or Civil Union Records

Order Online

Requirements to order online:

  1. To order online, you will be required to electronically send us a copy of your valid ID
    1. Acceptable ID includes: Valid Driver's License, State Issued ID, Military ID or Passport (ID cannot be expired)
  2. Click here to upload your valid ID or take a picture of your valid ID with a smartphone and email to us at vitalrecords@sangamonil.govDo not upload and send your ID unless you are placing an order on Epay. Continue with the following instructions to place an order on-line.
  3. If you chose to upload your valid ID, you will be directed to the Epay site upon successful submission of your ID.  If you email us a picture of your ID, clicking on the link below will take you to the Epay site.
  4. Once you are on the Epay website you will click on the type of vital record you are requesting from the list provided.
  5. Complete the required information on the Epay site screens.
  6. A confirmation page will be emailed to you after you have successfully completed the transaction.
  7. Once you have placed this order, the record will be mailed to you.

To begin your order for a Marriage or Civil Union Record online, please click hereDo not continue if the marriage or civil union did not occur in Sangamon County.  For Illinois marriages or civil unions outside of Sangamon County, please contact the State Vital Records at (217) 782-6554 or click here to access their website Illlinois Department of Public Health.

If you have any difficulties at all with this process please contact our office directly at (217) 753-6700 or at for futher instructions!

Please note: Absolutely no information can be given over the telephone regarding Vital Records. Under Illinois State Law (410 ILCS 535-Vital Records Act) only specific individuals have legal access to vital records. The Sangamon County Clerk’s Office will issue certificates to authorized individuals only. To do otherwise is a violation of Illinois Law. Vital Records are not considered public information, nor are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

Who May Obtain Marriage or Civil Union Records

Anyone may obtain a copy of a marriage or a civil union record.

Top of Page

Identification Needed

Valid identification is required when paying with a personal check or credit card.

Top of Page


$25.00 for the first copy and $7.00 for each additional copy of the same record when purchased at the same timePayment may be with a money order, check (please make payable to Sangamon County Clerk), cash or by Visa, Master Card, Discover or American Express.

Top of Page

Obtain a Marriage Record or a Civil Union Record Online or by Mail

The applicant must complete and mail in the required application which shall include the bride and grooms’ or partners names, approximate date and year of marriage or civil union and signature.   You may click here to request the record on-line.  The application must include the required fee and should be mailed to the Sangamon County Clerk’s Office, 200 S. Ninth Street, Room 101, Springfield, IL 62701. For questions you may contact the office at 217-753-6700 or e-mail by clicking here.

Top of Page

Other Information

Marriage Records on File in Sangamon County
Marriage records on file in the Sangamon County Clerk's Office go back to the year 1821.

Civil Union Records on File in Sangamon County
Civil Union records on file in the Sangamon County Clerk's Office go back to June 1, 2011.

Out of State Marriage Records
Try these other county and state links.

For more information, please call (217) 753-6700 or come to Room 101 of the Sangamon County Complex, 200 S. Ninth Street, Springfield, IL 62701 or e-mail by clicking here.

Top of Page